12 February 2011

What to do...

My 10 year old can't hear.  At least I think he can't.  A few weeks ago he told me his ears were stuffy.  They didn't hurt, except maybe a little now and then, but for the most part, it was just annoying him.  I gave him zyrtec and sudafed and after a few days, it got better.

Lately, though, he is not hearing well.  He noticed it and told me about it, but he says it's fine now.  I can't ignore the fact, though, that when I talk to him he does not hear me the first time.  Could it be selective hearing?  Maybe, but I don't think so.  He isn't that sort of kid.  He doesn't space out or tune me out.

He says he's fine.  He does not want to go to the doctor.  This is a kid who had four sets of tympanostomy tubes and had his adenoids removed.  He is afraid of having to have more surgery.  I've told him that is highly unlikely, given his age, but he still doesn't want to go to the doctor.  He insists he is fine.  I am pretty sure he is not fine, though.

He's a worrier, that's for sure.  So, I haven't told him yet, but he will be going to the doctor on Monday afternoon.  I've been giving him Zyrtec and Sudafed for a week and he still doesn't hear me or mis-hears me.  For instance, the 3 older boys are watching a movie right now and I said, from about 10 feet away, "Is this a good movie, guys?"  And Dwight answered, "I'm fine, Mom."  Hmmm.

We'll see what the doctor says.  I think he got so used to ear pain from having so many infections, he doesn't even realize when he has one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment